How to Build a Martial Arts Studio for Your Kids to Practice at Home
Life gets busy, and it’s not always possible to make it to your kids’ martial arts classes each week. You may also be wondering what to do if your children’s studio is closed during the COVID-19 pandemic. One of the best solutions is to allow your kids to hone their skills at home with their own practice studio. Here’s how to get set up!
Why Build a Studio?
Having a home practice studio comes with a lot of benefits you might not have considered. Here are just a few reasons you might want to build a martial arts studio at home.
- Having a studio will help your kids stay active and set them up for a healthier life.
- Regular practice is the key to mastering any martial art!
- As you probably know, martial arts are great for kids’ self-confidence and emotional wellness.
- If you design it right, your kids’ workout space can double as a home gym for you, too.
- Having a gym can increase your home’s resale value, especially if you use high-end materials and do quality work!
Pricing It Out
Once you’re convinced you want to build a studio, you’ll have to think about the practical side of things. Building a practice space for your kids might sound expensive, but it doesn’t have to be.
- Interlocking mats are popular for home studios, and run about $10 to $30 per tile.
- You can usually get a youth set of sparring gear for under $80.
- Heavy bags and punching bags might round out your kids’ routine.
- Converting your basement or garage (averages of around $13,000) into a home gym may make the most sense for your situation.
Using Your Home Studio
Whether you get portable equipment or dedicate a whole room to your home studio, you’ll want to get good use out of the space. These tips will help you use your studio to its full potential.
- Being a role model is one of the best ways to get your kids to stick to a regular at-home practice routine.
- When your kids aren’t practicing their skills, use the room yourself!
- Whether it’s you or your kids using the workout space, be sure to clean afterward to remove viruses and bacteria.
- Sign you and your kids up for online classes from the experienced martial arts instructors at All Okinawa Karate.
Setting up a home martial arts studio is a great way to help your kids keep up their practice at home. There are some costs involved, but the project can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be. And as an added benefit, creating a studio provides the perfect opportunity for you to work out, too!